Tuesday, October 14, 2008

New Callings!

So Justin and I have finally received callings! We haven't had a calling in about 3 months, due to not having a home, so we were pretty excited to get back into the swing of things. Our ward is pretty small (80or so members) but we love it! Justin was called to be Young Men's President and there are about 10 inactive young men in our ward out of a total of 10 young men. I think he feels as if he has his work cut out for him! He is so excited to visit and get to know these boys and hopes that he can be a good example and friend to them. I know he will do a great job!

I, on the other hand, was called to be the one and only Sunday School teacher for the 14-17 yr. olds. Scared? Yes. Terrified even? Yes. For those of who who may have forgotton, we live in Mexico, which means everything is in Spanish, and I dont really speak Spanish very well. So that is why I am a little nervous about this calling. Seriously though I am really excited to work with the youth and learn how to study the scriptures deeper. I am also excited to speed up the learning Spanish process. Although I dont know how fast I'll go. It took me an hour today just to read one chapter in Spanish....I thought about staying up for 3 days straight reading the Book of Mormon in both Spanish and English (see Other Side of Heaven) to be able to speak/understand by this Sunday but I thought I would spare my son the neglect and my husband the crankiness. I guess i'll learn poco a poco (little by little). I am really nervous for this calling but I know that this is where the Lord wants me to serve and I will try my hardest to do the best job I can! Wish me luck!

Just for kicks.. here is a picture

6 comments:

Meredith said...

Good luck on your new callings, you guys! The picture is just adorable.

~Meredith

lljfoster said...

I agree...picture is cute!! And you will both do great in your callings - Just follow the spirit as you've been taught!

Anonymous said...

That's exciting, and I'm sure that the Spanish will come. Just do you best, pray alot, and ask lots of questions so that the class members do lots of talking! Good luck!

jeff and alli said...

Nice, callings are great and good luck, I would be nervous too. If I could serve a mission in France, you can teach the youth. :)

Amy said...

Good luck, Ashleigh! I was terrified that I was going to be called to be the sunday school teacher for the Spanish class in our ward, but THANKFULLY I wasn't :) I'm excited to hear fun stories!

Amy Parker

Ashley Smith said...

you guys are so cute!! What an amazing opportunity! You'll learn fast and be speaking fluently in no time :) You guys are so awesome!