Tiananmen Square. This square has been around since the 1600's and was known as the main gate into the Forbidden City, located across the street. I think it is probably most known and famous for the pro-democracy protesting of 1989, which ended with the Chinese government killing several hundred, possibly thousands of protestors.
Sam, Helen and Sune accompanied us on almost all of our adventures!
This is the entrance to the Forbidden City. In order to get across the street though, you had to go underground. Just fyi, China has amazing underground walkways and subways. It is like another city underground. Super impressive!
Chinese military were all over the square. I'm sure the government is not about to let any form of protesting go on there! I am so grateful to be an American and for the freedoms that we enjoy. I am convinced that traveling around the world has just made me appreciate our beautiful country even more.
From 1620 to 1912 (the Ming and Qing Dynasties), the Forbidden City served as the Chinese imperial palace housing 24 emperors and their households.
This place was gigantic and had TONS of buildings. To be honest, they all kinda looked alike, but we had a tour guide that told us all sorts of cool things about the city which made it much more interesting.
I don't remember what was cool about these statues but I do remember that this was a sun dial that they used to tell time :)
This sign down below meant something about eternal marriage. I sure don't remember the exact translation but it was something like that.
The river in the background actually connects to the summer palace. That way it was easy for the emperors to travel from the city to their vacation spot.
One of our night there in Shanghai, we walked down Nanjing Road which is the busiest shopping street in Shanghai. Think NYC's Times Square, only in China.
It was a long walk all the way down that street but at the end is The Bund. The Bund is basically a waterfront with buildings of different architectural style lining the street.
I think Justin and I should try to do something like this to our backyard wall. It sure is prettier than cinder block!
In this picture of Grandma and Carla, you can see some of the different architecture of the buildings. Well, maybe it's hard to see but that is where they all are :)
While in Shanghai, the boys took a day to work in the office with the Chinese team. This is their office....
I don't remember this guys name but he was SO great! He literally drove us all over the place and was always SO happy to be our chauffeur. I really wish I could remember his name!
Sam, Alan Merrill, and Dad Smith.
And here is some of the team.
We love China! Oh and here's some random info... I was totally expecting there to be a mass number of bicycles riding together in herds all over the streets but I was actually surprised to see that many people drive cars and scooters! If people are walking or riding bikes, most of them have on masks...and I definitely don't blame them.

.jpg)








1 comment:
I know the Bund and that is in Shanghai but I thought the Forbidden City and Tienanmen square were in Beijing (I'm booking our flights/trains/hotels around the cities now eek!)
Post a Comment