Thursday, January 6, 2011

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Contrary to popular belief, it snows in Arizona. It snows a LOT in northern Arizona! For New Years, we packed up and joined the Smith family for an adventure up in the beautiful pines of Pinetop, AZ. The day we drove up, we hit a huge snowstorm that dumped 3 feet of snow and turned this area into a winter wonderland. Luckily we have 4-wheel drive and had no problem traveling but we saw some poor little cars sliding up and down the mountain as we made our way up.

We stayed at a condo and had fun playing in the snow with Ethan

He refused to put on his snow gloves and this is him crying because his hands were so cold. Lesson learned :)
They tired to make a snowman but the snow was too powdery.

So they made snow angels instead
and played swords with the icicles...
Ellie didn't join the fun outside but stayed nice and toasty inside the condo and was spoiled with love by her grandparents.
We played games one night with the game "PitchCar" being a favorite!

We also attempted to go snowboarding one day but it was near white-out conditions so we headed back to the condo. The next day we went again and since the weather was a little bit better, we got a few runs down the mountain. It was SO incredibly cold going down that mountain and I think we were all happy to head back home.

It was a fun family get-away but I was also reminded how grateful I am that we live in the Phoenix valley with beautiful winter weather! Snowy places are nice to visit for a few days but I could not handle living there. It is definitely not for me!

Thanks Smiths for inviting us to join you guys! We had a lot of fun!

4 comments:

Brittney said...

That looks like so much fun! It probably felt more like January up there! Also, I kind of want to steal your kids... they are too adorable!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

I've realized living in FL the same thing, 4 seasons are totally not my thing.

Sarah and Wes said...

Wow, those snow pictures are beautiful! The first picture makes me think of Narnia :)

jeff and alli said...

Picture perfect! Here in MN I see a lot of billboards advertising trips to AZ. :)

2 Thanksgivings ago we had a very similar glove experience with Rees. But now picture, we should have gotten a picture.

I read the Christmas post below. Loved the story about Ethan and the book exchange. :)