Monday, January 31, 2011

Number 3

I wish this post was about what the title could lead you to believe (announcing baby #3) but unfortunately this post is about miscarriage #3. We found out we were pregnant at the beginning of January and were so excited that this time around it was easy to get pregnant and we didn't have to go through months and months of trying like last time. I was 8 weeks along and Ellie and this baby would have been 18 months apart. I was elated that we were going to have them close in age. This morning I woke up with serious cramps and knew what was coming since I've been through it before. This afternoon I went to my doctor to have an ultrasound done and luckily everything came out clean and I didn't have to have a D&C. The whole process was quick and I physically feel fine as of now. At least everything has turned out good in a bad situation. We are just lucky that this happened today and not 2 days ago while we were in Peru.

So how am I doing?? Honestly, my heart is just breaking but I'm doing ok. I think I'm a pretty strong person and I know that we can definitely get through this but it really just breaks my heart when I think that my dreams of having a big family with lots of little kids running around, all close in age and creating chaos in the house, might not ever happen. I look at those young families with 5 or 6 little kids running all about and the mom pulling out her hair in frustration and I always just smile and think to myself just how lucky those parents are to have so many healthy children to chase around and I desire that more than anything.

One thing about miscarriages though is I am always reminded every time just how blessed I am to have Ethan and Ellie. They are two beautiful children who have brought unspeakable joy to our home and I am so incredibly grateful for them. I thank Heavenly Father everyday for them. They are our most treasured gifts. I am also always reminded when things like this happen that our Savior has felt any and all pain that we go through and completely understands our trials. He has been there. He knows. He is my comfort and I know that I can always find peace with His help.

Having these miscarriages does not make me feel scared to get pregnant again. Any and all miscarriages that I have had or will have in the future are completely worth the one sweet little baby that we get to bring into this world. I am grateful to already be a mother and just hope and pray that we can bring more sweet children into our home someday.

And now tonight, I will follow my post- miscarriage tradition of eating at least a quart of ice cream and watch a movie. I think I deserve it :)

25 comments:

Amy said...

You ARE strong. I'm sorry to hear that you lost this one. I think you're amazing and the world needs more of you.

Emily said...

Ashleigh,

I am so sorry and so sad for your loss. I REALLY admire your strength and good attitude. Such a great reminder that our Savior knows our pain.

You totally deserve that ice cream and movie.

hugs,
Emily

Sabrina said...

I am heart-broken to hear this news. You always have such an amazing attitude about it though. I've never been in your shoes and I can't imagine the pain you must feel, but you are definitely a strong woman. Brett's cousin just had her 6th miscarriage a few months ago. She also talked about how difficult it is but how much it makes her appreciate the two little girls they have been blessed with. I am sure it gives you a lot of perspective I know I often lack. Sending lots of prayers up for you.

Laurie Huish said...

Oh Ashleigh I am so sorry! I had a miscarriage 2 months before we got pregnant with Seth and it was rough. I want you to know just how much respect I have for you and your family. I have loved reading your Blog because you radiate such happiness as a mother.

AmyLyn said...

I'm praying for you, Ash! :-( Your attitude of gratitude is inspirational. Love you

Gooch Family said...

So sorry Ashleigh. You definitely deserve your movie and ice cream. I'm glad everything was able to work out without doing a D&C, and that you were in the states. Its good though you got pregnant so fast this time around and I'm sure you will again! Hang in there lady, we'll be thinking of you guys.

Karen said...

So sorry to hear your news. It's good to hear your thoughts. I know that I felt incredibly close to the spirit when I had my miscarriage before (my) Ethan. I hope you continue to feel better and encouraged by others and Heavenly Father. You are loved!

Lauren said...

My heart aches for you. I can't imagine how you feel. You are such an amazing and strong women and all of your children are and will be so blessed to have you as their mother. Love you!

Megan said...

I am so sorry. You are such a strong woman. I know who I'm going to call if I ever have a miscarriage. thanks for sharing in your post. It makes me grateful for my two kids too:)

Heather Dayton said...

Oh Ashleigh I am so so sorry. I can't even imagine how you are feeling. I am sad for you. I bet you spent a lot of time hugging your 2 kids today. We will remember you in our prayers.

Sarah and Wes said...

I love you Ashleigh!!

Nicole said...

We love you Ashleigh! What an amazing example you are. You and your family are in our prayers!!!

Summer Naylor said...

I got choked up reading your post, probably because the feelings you speak of are so close to my heart too. I went through 3 miscarriages before getting pregnant this second time. I am going to find out the gender in the next week or two, and though I am very excited, I still have that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that at any moment I may find myself bleeding and could lose this one too. I appreciate your words because they are the exact ones that I felt each time. My first miscarriage took place at 6 weeks and would have made our two 18 months apart as well. Now they will be 2 1/2 years apart. Hang in there! I love you!

Brittney said...

So sorry to hear this, Ash! But thank you for sharing your story. While I have not ever been pregnant yet or miscarried, I admire your positive attitude in a touch situation. I am sure good things are in store for your precious family!!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

I'm so grateful I know You.
You teach me so much.
Y'all are in my prayers.

The McLemore's said...

I was also really excited about having them close, 18 months was going to be perfect. I totally understand about seeing the mom with the little ones pulling her hair out, why is it that that is the one thing we want so bad? I am just dying, I want another one and I really really really wanted them to be close. Here's to hoping you and I both get another chance for a baby by the end of this year.......

Jamie said...

Thank you for you sweet comment - despite your current trials as well - ours pails in comparrison. I am uplifted by your faith and hope. YOu will have the desires of your heart - I promisse, but the Lord has promised as well. One day you will have the desires of your heart, just wait and see.

Marin said...

Ashleigh
thanks for that post even though i know it probably is hard to talk about. It made me cry but probably all for the wrong reasons seeing I sit here in my house thinking "why twins?"

Children are a blessing but sometimes it can be so hard. I hope that you will both be blessed with a little baby soon.

Lydia said...

Oh Ashleigh! i am so sorry. you are such a sweet and strong person! I hope you get to feeling better soon and everything turns out ok in the end! Ya'll are definitely in our prayers!! Love you guys!

Shannon said...

Ashleigh, you are amazing. I cannot believe your strength through all of these miscarriages. Though I've only had one I completely understand the heartbreak. You are so positive to look to your two adorable kiddos during this... I hope you are blessed with many many more!
Thinking of you...

emily paige said...

If only everyone cherished their children the way you do...
And if only everyone handled trials the way you do...
Your positive perspective is always so refreshing. My prayers are with you!

The Wigginton Family said...

I'm sorry Ash. YOu are so strong, graceful and full of faith amidst a difficult situation. I hope the ice cream was hecka good!

Mama's Makin's said...

First I am SOOOO sorry that I didn't read this until today. (esp. since I have talked to you since this and didn't know. I am so sorry.) SECOND, I am so sorry for your loss. I SOOO hope that your hubby was around, I can't imagine going through it alone. I wish you would have called! I would have bought the YUMMIEST most expensive ice cream and joined your party! :)

You are blessed with two very beautiful children, but I understand the frustrations - Especially with my age factor! :) At least you are still VERY YOUNG! :) Nothing anyone can say can really help I know. But do know that I am thinking of you! And our prayers are with you! YOU WILL have a big family. :) Most likely here - but you have 3 more waiting for you! :) You are the most caring and loving mom I know. I wish you all the best to a very quick recovery and back to baby making soon. OH DID I WRITE THAT on your blog? opps :) Hope it cracked a smile - even it it is with a blush! Love loves.

Meg and Abe said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is and I am sure that it doesn't get easier just because you have been through it before. I am so glad that you can see light through a dark moment. I will keep you in my prayers.

Rollins Family said...

Ashleigh,

I am so sorry for your loss. You are such an incredible mother. I am inspired by your strength and courage. I know you'll be blessed for your faithfulness and strength. You are such a great example to say many!

Love,
Brianna Rollins