I can make a diaper cake! This is my first one ever to do so don't judge it too harshly :) I thought it wasn't all that bad considering the lack of crafty supplies there are here in Mexico (seriously there is nothing...one more thing to add to my "Things to get in America" list). One of the girls I used to work with in Casa Kanguro is having her baby this month and because I am now a stay at home mom and have time to do these crafty things, I thought I would finally give it a try! It's pretty plain jane but it's loaded full of diapers and that's all that really matters right? The girls had never seen anything like this before (which surprised me) and at first they thought it was made of marshmellows. :)
Speaking of giving birth, did you know that almost all of the births here in Mexico are via C-section? It's true. People are always amazed when they hear that Ethan was delivered vaginally without problems and we just tell them that it's not very common in the states to give birth any other way! The Mexicans have a lot of "theories" as to why this is the case. Here are some that we have heard:
-The Mexican people are just to little to give birth vaginally- it would kill them (my question is how did the Mexican race survive so long if that was the case?)
-The government is paying/threatening/bribing the doctors to automatically deliver via C-section in order to control the birth rate (this one I could believe considering how corrupt the government is here)
-There are just too many risks giving birth vaginally and it's better to not even try
- and my favorite is: the doctors are just lazy and C-section is much easier- I definitly believe this could be the answer!
So if we were to have another child while we are still here in Mexico, we have luckily found an awesome doctor who is very pro vaginal birth and who works in a very new, nice, and modern hospital who I would trusts with delivering a child. Sorry, I kinda went off on a tangent but I thought that whole C-section philosophy was interesting. Are C-sections really prevelent in other foreign countries? Anywho, the baby shower was a lot of fun and Im excited to make more of these in the future!
6 comments:
Way to go, it looks awesome! That is so weird on those theories of theirs, I feel bad for those women.
cool cake! good job!
and c-sections are on the rise in the U.S it seems as well... but I had no idea it would be like that in Mexico! I love learning new things so thanks!
I thought the c-section tangent was interesting, huh. I've heard some say we do a lot of c-sections in US, so I guess it just depends who you are comparing us to.
Great job on the diaper cakes. I love those, so so useful and cute.
c-sections are about 30% of the births in the state. I'm sure many of those women would much rather vaginal if they got to experience it. I'm hoping our next baby will come vaginally. I wouldn't wish a c-section on a woman. I know that some are necessary, but the c-section rate is on the rise, and some of that is because drs. are jumping to that after the 1st sight of some complications. Again, I know they're justified and necessary and even life saving, but if you don't need one...
I make those for every baby shower i get invited too now they are so fun! looks good!!
This is such an interesting post regarding cesarean sections.Thanks for the insight.
On another note, I've been reading about the political upheaval in Mexico recently. What part of Mexico are you in? Is it pretty safe where you are?
Post a Comment