Monday, March 17, 2014

Chile!!! Jan 2014- Santiago

I really wish I was better about blogging on our trips right when we get home from them. I tend to forget where we went, what we did, and other important details fairly quickly. Hopefully between justin and I, we can get the gist of the trip written down!

Our 10 day trip to Chile started on the 13th of Jan. We had a late night layover in Vegas so we decided to have a little fun while we were there! We stayed in Mandalay Bay and had fun going through their aquarium, eating at their buffet, walking around the casino, and my favorite, we went to the Michael Jackson Show. It was SO good. 









It was a fun, short layover and we flew out at like 2 am that morning to Panama and then to Santiago. It was a super LONG trip but a good one. 

The the first 4 days in Santiago, Eduardo and Justin worked hard at the agriculture trade show and were busy with meetings most of the day. Luckily we were able to escape during the evening to see sights in the city. 

Almost all of these pictures are out of order but it takes way too long to rearrange them.

We stayed in The Hyatt and it was quite a beautiful hotel!

Even though it was summer in the southern hemisphere, the weather in Santiago is like San Diego weather- absolutely perfect. 

It was fun to try new restaurants, shop at the markets, and eat some typical Chilean food!


Completo anyone? 

We also ventured out to the Los Dominicos, Artisan Shops. The stuff they were selling was definitely designed to entice super rich tourists but the ambiance of this place was picturesque. We bought wooden snake and butterfly pens for the kids which I think were the cheapest things there. 



The sun didn't set in Chile until almost 10pm! We realized on our way home from the shops that it was almost 9pm and we still hadn't eaten dinner yet. We were starving! When I ordered this sandwich though, I had no idea that it would be literally the size of my head. Seriously, this picture does not do it justice!

I can't decide if it looks appetizing or disgusting. It sure tasted good though!!!
Tons of avocado, tomato, and cheese...yum!

I literally thought I had died and gone to heaven with all the avocado they eat there. I LOVE avocado and since it grows everywhere, it is so cheap!

I think one of these days we went up north to Vina del Mar. That will have to be for the next post though.

At the end of our stay in Santiago, we took a city bus tour. It was super cool to see the city in just a few hours and learn some history while we were at it. 


Is it me or do those wires look just a little bit dangerous?

I'm pretty sure that this is the capital building but I could be wrong. 

The cathedral was really cool and different from the outside but there was a ton of construction going on in the middle of the square and I couldn't get a good picture of it.

After the bus tour, we walked what seemed to be a million blocks to Santa Lucia Hill. 
On the way, some pick pocketer tried to steal my phone right out from my hand. Luckily I had quite a firm grip on it and he couldn't get it. Just because I look very American doesn't mean I don't know what to and not to do in a foreign country. I mean, I have lived in Latin America, you know :)

It was a nice little hike up to the top of the hill and the view of Santiago was well worth the million blocks we walked. 



Unfortunately, the Andes hid from us the whole. entire. trip. Justin said that they are beautiful though. I guess I'll just have to take his word for it!



At the bottom of the hill, there was a pretty little garden/fountain area. 



Justin actually served a 2 year mission for our church when he was 19 years old to the Santiago South Chile Mission. We took some time after the trade show was over with with to go explore some of his old stomping grounds. This was by far, the coolest part of the whole entire trip. 

We stopped at a cute little restaurant on the way to Rancagua, near Paine. Justin made me try a typical Chilean drink called Mote con Huesillo. I must admit, I was not a fan. 

We stopped in Justin's old area called Hospital and saw where he used to live, and where the missionaries still live! We actually saw some gringo elders riding their bikes and they were super surprised to see some Americans driving around out in the middle of nowhere. 



The church in Hospital. It's by far the nicest building in the small town!

The absolute highlight of the trip though was meeting Luz and her family. Justin taught and baptized Luz, her husband, Sergio, and their two sons, Mauricio and Rodrigo. 

Justin saw Luz and her family about 4 years ago when he was in Santiago for a work trip and I will never forget the look on her face when she saw him this time. She has pure love for my sweet husband and it was an honor meeting her and her family. 

I wonder if we made her feel short? :)

While back in Santiago, we drove by the mission president's old home. It's no longer used as that but it is still super pretty. 

A visit to the Santiago Temple was a must on the list. 




Eduardo and Gladys were so good to go along with us for all of our "church" stops. We figured it was a pretty good missionary opportunity to have the along ;)





On one of the days, we wanted to head up to the Andes to see if we could finally get a glimpse of them. Even though we never really got a good look at them, the drive up there was sure pretty! 



Stopping to talk to some fisherman about the road up to the Andes....turns out it was closed.










Stopped at a pretty lookout point on the way back down. 


On our last day there and on the way to the airport to head down to Puerto Montt, we stopped by the home of Mauricio and Elena to visit with them. Mauricio is the son of Luz. Elena was actually a young woman in the ward when Justin served there as well. Mauricio actually served as Bishop in the ward there. Isn't that music to any missionary's ears? 


They were so sweet and kind and had the two cutest little boys too...

One was such a poser and the other was was less than thrilled to let me take a picture of him :) Two cuties!



We then flew out to Puerto Montt south of Santiago. 
But I think the next post will be backtracking a bit to our visit to Vina del Mar. 

2 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

How fabulous! What camera do you have, I love your pictures!

Karen said...

How neat to see Justin's mission! The avocado, tomato, cheese and whatever else sandwich looks SO yummy!!