Wow. It has been a very fun but very busy last 2 weeks! This post has so many pictures and it is kinda all jumbled together but hopefully I will be able to follow it when I look back on it in the future.
First item of business...
TEXAS!
Call us crazy (or just poor), but we made the long, long drive all the way across Texas with these two little kiddos scrunched in the back seat.
For as long of a drive as it was, they did really, really good. We bought a portable DVD movie thing to strap onto the front seats and I must say that that could possibly be the best money we have ever spent. They happily watched movie after movie after movie for the whole 20 some odd hours in that car. So nice. What did parents ever do on road trips before those were invented is beyond me!
My sweet husband couldn't stay in TX with us (due to not enough days to take off work) and so he drove us all the way across Texas and then in Houston I dropped him off at the airport to fly all the way back to Phoenix so he could make it to work the next day. He didn't want me to have to make that long drive with just me and 2 kids in the car. What a sweetheart, right?!
When we made it to Vidor, the kids played and enjoyed their freedom from the restraints of car seats. It's so nice that my parents have over an acre of beautiful green grass to explore!
Ellie LOVED walking back and forth on the long walkway.
And she adored all the animals there. Those poor dogs and cats were so kind to put up with her not-so-soft petting....

Ellie would laugh and giggle and would run to pet this poor cat when she saw her...
Yes. You saw that cat right. Meet my cat, Pumpkin....
Pumpkin is like 12 or 13 years old and was my cat when I lived at home (although I never really took care of him). Pumpkin used to have beautiful thick, long, fluffy fur until my parents shaved it off for the summer. Isn't that just ugly? Poor thing.
My dad built Ethan a sandbox and he was in heaven playing for hours with his trucks and tractors in it. I love giving my kids opportunities to get absolutely filthy!
It was all fun and games until Ethan became very acquainted with fire ants and mosquitos. Welcome to SE Texas buddy! He got some nasty bites from them though. And to top it off he met 2 Mud Daubers (look just like wasp but don't sting) when they landed on his face while he was sleeping one night and so now he is constantly on bug patrol if we are outside. He sees an insect and says "Mommy! I think that's a wasp!"" or "Mommy! I think these are fire ants!" Do you blame him for being a bit paranoid though?! I don't!
Everyday we went over to my grandparents house to visit with them. They don't get to see us very often so we always try to make sure we have ample amount of time for them to get to see their great-grandbabies!
My Gpa used to take me for walks up and down the road when I was little. I was so happy to capture these precious moments on camera...


He thought he could handle both kids though and about 10 minutes later I heard both kids screaming. I looked down the road to see Ethan standing there wailing because of a mosquito bit him and gpa trying to comfort him while chasing down Ellie who was about to run into the neighbors yard and pet a not so friendly german shepherd! My grandparents really are the best!
Their chairs move up and down and are always a huge hit with Ethan
The kids were always pretty rowdy whenever we were visiting them but this was the one time that they were actually quiet and not running around like wild people! They are cute with each other sometimes :)
One day while we were visiting with Great Grandma & Grandpa, Ethan was helping my dad mow their yard and was riding on the lawnmower with him. I was inside with grandma and Ellie and Ethan walks in the house with this long, wiggly thing in his hands. I couldn't see what it was until he stepped out of the shadows but I just about jumped into the next room when I realized that he was holding a snake! My 3 yr old holding a snake and showing no fear about it! I didn't realize that the snake was dead so I was freaking out but even when I noticed its head was chopped off I was still freaking out that Ethan now had yucky dead snake germs all over him. I don't do snakes and I think my dad thought he was pretty funny in making Ethan do that :)
Oh and I just have to add in here how funny it was to watch Ethan talking with Great Grandma Sims and the look of pure terror on his face when she popped her fake teeth out of her mouth! We laughed and laughed until we were crying with his reaction. I would pay money to go back and have it on video. After a little bit of the shock wore off Ethan said, "Grandma, don't ever, ever do that again. That was disgusting!"
The main reason we went to Texas though was for my one and only brother's wedding!
A few days before the wedding, I went with my almost new sis-in-law, Jessica, to get a pedicure and it was so fun to get to know her a little bit better. She is a really nice girl and I am happy that Chad could find someone that we all like so well!
I've never been a part of a normal wedding, as opposed to temple sealings, but it really was a beautiful wedding! It was held at my mom's church and was decorated beautifully!
Jessica was nice/brave enough to let me do her hair for the wedding and I must say that it turned out pretty good! She looked stunning!
Ethan was the ring bearer and Ellie was the cutest little flower girl that you ever did see! They cooperated quite well walking down the aisle and Ellie even threw out a little wave to everyone. So cute!

Justin flew back into Houston the day before the wedding and was the best man. It was so cute to see these two standing up there together.
I guess Justin had never been a part of a wedding either and didn't quite catch the memo that he was supposed to walk the maid of honor both down the aisle and back. After the wedding, he took off and left the maid of honor walking quickly behind him to try to catch up! It was cute.
Ellie was SO tired. With the 2 hour time change and busy days, it made for one tired and grumpy baby! As long as she had her freedom to run around and go where she pleased though, she was pretty good.

Ethan and this little girl were so cute dancing together at the reception. Ethan has some killer dance moves that he must have got from his daddy :)

Back to AZ
So after a week there, we made the long drive back home just in time for Ethan's preschool graduation.

Ethan was not cooperating at first and the teacher had to pick him up and carry him up on the stage while they were doing the walk into the gym. It was a little embarrassing but it could have been much, much worse.

Towards the end he started participating more and even said his Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme perfectly!

That same day, we went with Justin's cousins Austin, Rosanne, and their 2 kiddos Mia and Alyssa, to Amazing Jakes. Austin and his family came down to AZ for Chanda's wedding and stayed at our house. It was SO much fun to have them stay with us!
At amazing Jake's we all had so much fun riding all the rides and playing with the kids. Because of height limits, we adults had to ride most of the rides with the kids and those rides are definitely not built to be comfortable for us adults!

Justin and Austin tried to share a seat on the train. Didn't work out too well, so Justin came to sit with me and Ellie.

I laughed SO hard when I saw this picture. I think it's the combo of sheer terror and a sinister smile that makes this priceless!
Ellie was done. After the crazy week before and the crazy week going on, she was pretty nap deprived. She finally gave up and slept for a few hours in that noisy place!


Later that night, after the kids crashed, we got our trusty babysitter to watch all of our kids while us adults went out for a little fun!
We went out to eat at Chipolte and then headed over to F1 Raceway. This place is so cool. They have a track set up and you drive these awesome go-karts that go about 45 miles per hour around the track and race each other! So, so fun.
Here we are in our awesome hat socks after watching the safety video...
About to race!
We raced twice and the first time I think I came in 4th or 5th out of 6 or 7 drivers but the next race I smoked everyone and got first place with 26 seconds a lap! I was pretty proud of myself until the worker there said, "I hate to tell you this but 26 seconds is our all-time track record and... you definitely weren't going that fast. Something was wrong with your car." Oh well. At least the other guys that were racing with us didn't know that and probably still think that they were smoked by a girl :)
Chanda's Wedding
This last Saturday, Chanda and Nathan were sealed for time and all eternity in the Mesa, AZ temple. It had been a very busy week previously with bridals, couple pictures, reception, etc and doing her hair for each one of them but it was so fun to have that time with Chanda and help her to feel like the beautiful person that she is! She had her bridals and couple pictures on Wednesday, her reception was Friday and they were sealed Saturday morning. I loved how they did the reception and sealing on different days so that the most beautiful part of all of this, the sealing, wasn't overshadowed by other wedding have-to's. It was so peaceful and calm to go to the sealing in no rush and afterwards enjoy a nice, chill luncheon afterwards. If I could do it again, I would do it that way!

Here are some beautiful pictures taken of the bride and groom from Steve Nissle Photography
Chanda and Nate after their sealing. Taken from my camera obviously, not Steve's :)
Whew. Well, after 2 weddings in 2 weeks we have been in chill mode around here. I have had nothing planned this whole week and I don't think I have made it out of either work-out clothes or my yoga pants the whole time. It is wonderful to become reacquainted with my kids and husband again!







6 comments:
Haha, that wasn't a look of terror. Mia was laughing so hard, she kept asking me to go faster!
First off, Holy Crap Chad is married?!!?!? I feel so dang old..Second the hair do's turned out gorgeous! 3rd, your kids are so stinkin cute 4th you guys are having way to much fun and making us jealous lol.
Wow this looks like you guys had so much fun! The preschool graduation is so cute! And so fun that you get to see family in texas. And your little girl is darling even without hair. and speaking of hair, your hair is so pretty long, I know you've always had it fairly long but it looks so good, and the hair you did for her wedding was pretty too:) ok sorry, I know that your post was not about hair... ha ha. But anyways, You guys are a cute family!
ashleigh- you did such a great job with the hair do's! i wanted to say hi at the reception but you had ellie (who was getting fussy) and you were talking to someone else.
oh, and that was jackson and i in the mall parking lot on monday :)
I think i am going to have nightmares for a while about that cat. Ha,ha,ha! That is a crime against nature! That thing looks like it's wearing Ug boots!
Looks like you had a great time in TX! Congrats on a new bro-in-law and a new sis-in-law :)
how parents did it before DvDs: we weren't strapped into car seats as kids. we got to roam around the car more. :) We played games like the a - z game or I am bring to grandmas house. Ate lots of licorice and (ok I am kidding mostly because for that very reason my dad got vans with little tv's and VCR players - so we had it both ways! The back seat that laid into a bed. . . roaming and the movies! :)
WOW lots of adventures! You HAVE been busy! I must say you did a beautiful job on the hair! :) Come back home sometime. :)
Post a Comment