Well we had a first in the Smith family that happened Wednesday night. I was gone visiting teaching when I get a call from Justin saying that Ethan fell down the stairs and broke his arm. Bless his heart, he had all 3 kids and I could hear all 3 screaming in the background. So I quickly left and came home. Ethan was laying on the couch with Justin crying and holding his arm. I got a glimpse of his arm and saw that it was pretty bowed. I started to feel queazy and tried to not look at it for the rest of the night. I'm just grateful that there wasn't any bones sticking out.
I took him to the Urgent Care nearby and they got him some pain medication and took some X-rays. Sure enough his arm was broken. You can kinda see how bowed his arm was in this picture....
Poor kid. He was in a lot of pain!
This is the X-ray that shows the damage...Not one, but both bones!
The doc at the Urgent Care was pretty convinced that they would have to reform the bone so she sent us to the ER.
Little did I know that "reform" the bone actually meant brake the other side of the bone so the bones will be on top of each other and can heal properly... ouch!
By the time we got called back from the waiting room it was almost midnight and Ethan was a riot on his pain meds. He said things like, "Mommy, my arm doesn't hurt at all!! I feel great!!" and got all his letters and words mixed up. He totally reminded me of a wasted drunk person!
The ER doc was amazing and explained everything to us. We had a few options but in the end we decided to give him some morphine and get those bones back in place. Ethan was such a trooper through everything but it broke my heart to hear him cry when the doc was re-breaking the arm. It took a few tries but eventually there was a snap and then the doctor wrapped up the arm in a splint.
Even though it was tough hearing Ethan cry through the reformation I'm sure glad we did it. They took an X-ray of the arm post reformation and the bones are right on top of each other all ready to heal back very nicely!
Then at 3am they discharged us and sent a very tired mommy and son back home.
Isn't he just about the cutest thing ever? So happy even after all that!
He slept for most of the next day. I would have too if I could have!
We go on Monday to get his cast put on. He's already decided that he wants a super cool yellow (his favorite color) cast.
Something tells me that this won't be the last broken bone experience we will have but I'm so glad everything turned out ok!


10 comments:
Oh my goodness! I am glad that everything turned out alright.
Makes me cringe to think about being with a child getting their bone REBROKEN! So sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad to hear, though, that he should be able to heal well.
Oh my goodness!!! Poor Ethan!! It's amazing what we can do as moms that we didn't know we could do before. Maybe you were always hard core! :) glad you guys survived the first bone break!
Oh my goodness!!!! Poor Ethan! It amazes me what we can do as moms that we didn't know we could do before. Although you were probably always hard core :) having to watch them re break the bone would be tough! Glad you guys survived the first bone break!
Oh no! I'm not looking forward to dealing with broken bones. Glad things worked out okay but sorry you had to go through any of it in the first place.
ugh! Poor Ethan! I'm sure we'll have our fair share of broken arms over here too - Mark broke both arms, both wrists and an ankle while he was growing up so I can only imagine what Ammon will do. You're a champ, I would have been queasy too!!!
Oh my goodness! How sad. It brought tears to MY eyes reading how sad you were to hear him cry. lol I couldn't handle that. lol I'm glad he gets a cool yellow cast. lol I'm so grateful you were able to get his to the ER and on meds quick!
holy cow! that stinks! so sorry about that one!
Stink! I am thinking I need to get on the task of getting on insurance and picking it out again! :) ha!
Oh yea! I'm not looking forward to dealing with broken bones. Glad things worked out okay but sorry you had to go through any of it in the first place.
youtube downloader
Post a Comment