Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Kickin' the Addiction

ad·dict
tr.v. ad·dict·ed, ad·dict·ing, ad·dicts
1. To cause to become physiologically or psychologically dependent on a habit-forming substance.
2. To occupy (oneself) with or involve (oneself) in something habitually or compulsively:

Ok, so maybe I'm not physiologically or psychologically dependent on this substance but I just have lost all control to say no. Same thing? Maybe. The substance(s) I am talking about is...sugar.

I used to be SO good at just saying no to eating an excessive amount treats, desserts, pastries, etc. and I think after this last miscarriage I stopped caring and thought that I deserved to eat as much of the sweet stuff as I wanted- after all, I wasn't trying to keep my body healthy for a baby anymore. *Just for the record, I was not depressed and yes, of course I know that healthy bodies need not only be for carrying babies :)* Anyway, I love desserts and my usual post- miscarriage nightly bowl of ice cream has continued on for oh like 3 months now. I feel like I have lost all control to say no and I am nipping this thing in the bud before I start to pack on pounds :)

Solution? No sugar for a month. Yikes! I'm not going to be super nazi about it (like not eating my usual bowl of cereal because of the 2 grams of sugar in there) but I am not allowed any treats, ice cream, brownies, candy, or whatever resembles these things for a whole month. It's not so much a lose weight thing but more of a have control over myself thing. I think it will be hard at first but worth it in the end! Days 1 & 2 have been so far so good. It's funny, I catch myself subconsciously heading right to the freezer for ice cream at night and just direct myself to the watermelon in the fridge instead. Wish me luck!

9 comments:

Valerie Earnest said...

Hi Ashleigh- it's Valerie from Occasionally Crafty! Good luck on this! I don't think I could do it.....

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you- you asked me about my pirate cake a week or so ago, and I've been on vacation in Mexico. I just got back tonight. I made the cake standing up right using directions from Family Fun- here's the link: http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/pirate-hat-cake-688665/

Some tips- I froze my cakes overnight after I baked them, then decorated them straight out of the freezer. I used frosting as kind of a glue to help them stand up, too. LOTS of frosting.

Good luck!

Lauren said...

Amazing! Good luck!
I hope I can have control again like this again... someday.

AmyLyn said...

Ash, it's a great idea. Kudos to you for having a goal like that. Even with the negative connotation of "dieting," one great thing about going without something is to get to practice self-control. Besides that, you'll quickly find that you won't crave sugar once you've been off of it for a while (like a few weeks) in fact, you may feel sick the first time you eat sugar after a long fast from it. Also, fruit will suddenly taste better than it ever has! (can you tell I've done this a few times? It's worth the sacrifice!) Good luck!

Heather Dayton said...

Good for you. :) Good luck. (I also think that you deserved 3 months of nightly bowls of ice cream after going through a miscarriage.)

Anonymous said...

good for you! i've found it's much easier when you have tasty replacements. like banana soft serve; which is just frozen bananas blended up. it really is SO good! it has the same consistency of ice cream, too! or i like to have a medjool date with a piece of bitter chocolate- no white sugar, just the sweetness from the date make the bakers chocolate taste sweet and it's really good! :)
good luck!

Mama's Makin's said...

oh BOO! :) Kick the ice cream for a month and enjoy the rest of your life! :)

Sarah and Wes said...

Ashleigh maybe I'll do that too!!! I'm the opposite, I think that since I'm pregnant, I can eat whatever I want. Especially since I'm still running, I just tell myself that at least I'm running. I know that staying away from sugar for a bit can help you not want it so much. So, if I can work up the motivation, I'm going to try your one month challenge! :)

Elizabeth said...

You took the words right out of my mouth! I've been thinking a lot about this. What is a treat really? Because if we eat it everyday, then it's for sure not a treat. It's a staple of our daily diet. I lose control at my parents house. We go there every week for dinner. When there's family in town, as there has been for about the past month, we head over there more often and there ALWAYS are oodles of cookies, pie, cake, ice cream etc. Sugar really can be addicting. Anyways, I want to develop a little more self control too. I decided yesterday that I'm going without dessert for the month of July, except for on our anniversary trip. :) In case you get headaches, just know that it's normal! Kicking sugar really is like kicking an addiction, however small of one it might be. Withdrawals will come unfortunately. Good luck! Good luck to me too.

The Battisti Family said...

You should talk to Sabrina about some of her nutition books she's reading (I think she gave it to AmyLyn to read it too) and my bro David was up all night reading it. Anyway, I haven't read it yet but it teaches why eating healthy is better...not just how. Basically builds your testimony right of health and hopefully that will make it more motivating. Sabrina is teaching me what she reads until I get the book but basically, what is working for me is I try to fill up on as much as I can on fruits and veggies and if I'm still hungry or dying for sweets, I'll let myself have some. I haven't been so sucessful when I totally deprive myself b/c then I binge and purge. It's easier for me to have self control when I already have something like fruit readily available and if I'm not hungry. Fill up first on the goods, then if you're still dying (which is rarely the case) then I give myself some of the unhealthy stuff. That is more realistic for me. I find that I'm not really needing the extra sweets after I fill up first. I have noticed a difference in my mood, energy, happiness, clarity of mind. I figure nothing can taste as good as feeling good, alive, energetic! Good luck! Way to go!