Friday, March 18, 2011

Spring Break Getaway!

With little kids spring break doesn't have much significance. Our daily schedule doesn't change so we never feel like we have to take off and find an adventure to take advantage of the available free time. I'm sure that will change as our kids get into public schools.

This year we did have a little spring break getaway though when Justin's family invited us to join them for a few days up in Flagstaff, AZ. Of course Justin found us lots of fun things to do and cool things to see while we were there. I had no idea that there was so much to do in that area of AZ.

We visited Walnut Canyon where there are lots of Indian ruins built into the walls of the canyon with some steep drop offs right below. That was pretty neat to see! It was a nice little hike and the surroundings were very pretty!

Ethan was such a trooper!
We even found a little door that was just his size...
We also visited Grand Falls, or nicknamed Chocolate Falls. It was quite the hike down into the canyon but Ethan did it all! He was dead tired by the end of the day with all the hiking but he was quite a trooper!
Can you see why it is nicknamed Chocolate Falls? That water is not something that I would want to swim in but it was really cool to see!
I love this picture of Ethan standing with his big stick. He wouldn't let that thing go!

And I'm so glad that Davin is the adventurous type that climbed this ledge so I could get a cool picture out of it!

Justin and his siblings decided to climb a little higher on the falls....
The next day we went to see Meteor Crater. Ethan again did so good and as you can tell was enthralled listening to all the history behind this crater :)
He entertained himself in other ways I suppose. Here is a family picture in front of the crater.
Here is some trivia for you. This crater was made 50,000 years ago when an asteroid 150ft. across came crashing into the earths surface! Isn't that amazing that it was only 150ft wide?! The crater is 2.4 miles across and more than 550ft. deep! It is the world's best preserved meteorite impact site!
Then, we drove around for probably an hour trying to find the remains of a Ghost town from the late 1800s. Unfortunately, we didn't make it to the heart of the Ghost town but saw some remains of houses, graveyards, etc. on the outskirts of the town. It was an adventure trying to find it!

After that, we went to Sunset Crater where a volcano erupted around 1046-1100AD and left a whole lot of lava flow around the bottom of it. We walked the lava trail and learned all sorts of history from our handsome tour guide (or aka, Justin:)
I thought the history behind this picture is pretty cool. Do you see the point on the far left and the point on the far right? If you take those two points and trace them up diagonally making a point, that used to be what that volcano looked like- HUGE! Scientist think it blew it's whole top off!

I really enjoy little 3 day getaways and getting to see the beauty and history behind AZ! Big thanks to the Smith's for letting us tag along!

6 comments:

Sabrina said...

How fun! I love Flagstaff. We'd move there right now if we could. Now, I want to visit those chocolate falls.

The Curry Family said...

In your 3 days, you did more in Flagstaff than I have in the 1 year I have lived here! Now I know of some fun things to do now that it is warmer outside, thanks! :)

genderist said...

YES YES YES! The stick picture is my favorite. That's one that should be framed for his room. :)

Megan said...

So beautiful. I love to see things like that.

Heather Dayton said...

What a gorgeous place to go! I can't believe how brown those falls are - that's crazy. It looks like Ethan had a blast. :)

emily paige said...

Your family is so adventurous! I love the pictures. I always wish that we had more time to do things like this!