Monday, May 26, 2008

Ethan's New Trick

So Ethan learned a new trick today and its called climbing out of his crib and falling head first onto the floor... no seriously, that's just what my son did today. I put him in his crib for his nap and proceeded to the living room where the vacuum cleaner was going. After the vacuum shut off I heard Ethan screaming. I just thought he lost his binky or something so I went back into the room to give it to him. I opened the door not expecting anything to be in my way and accidently hit poor little Ethan in the back, who was rolling around crying on the floor. I quickly picked him up and held him confused as to why my son was rolling around on the floor and was not in his crib how I left him. He finally calmed down and fell back asleep, but I was still so confused how in the world Ethan 1) got out of his crib and 2) was not seriously injured. ( Because we live in a room in the garage, there is no carpet. Just cement with a rug pulled over it). Later today we noticed that a big red bump was starting to show up on the very top of his head, definitly indicating that that was where he landed. Its`a miracle that he didnt crack his head open...
So tonight I hid in the room after putting him down for the night just to make sure that he didn't crawl out again. Sure enough after about 10 minutes, he tried to get out of his crib by stepping on his bumper padding and pulling himself up and over the railings. He was almost out of his crib when I ran over and stopped him. Needless to say the bumper pads are now outta his crib!
Well, I most definitly did not think that crawling out of a crib would have been an issue for my 10 month old little boy, but knowing Ethan I am defnintly not surprised that he found a way to do it! I'm just glad that he was not seriously hurt by his big fall, we are so blessed!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! I have heard of this happening but never first hand! wow!

you definitely have an athlete on your hands!

Jess said...

Oh my! I'm so glad he's okay. Rachel pulled herself out of her crib and onto the floor once upon a time as well. That was before we had lowered it all the way though...Ethan definitely knows how to move.

Anonymous said...

oh no! haha but funny...he is definately a little boy isn't he? i am glad he isn't hurt though! smart hiding in the room!!

Nicole said...

Wow! I am SO glad he is ok! Surprising since you live on concrete!!! Man, I'm so glad Lukas doesn't have the moves that Ethan has! ;)

Meg Barry said...

Wow, welcome to the land of climbing children! It is a fun/crazy club to be in. Kenneth would not let me help Gavin get down from things because he knew that was the way he would learn to do it safely. It was hard to watch, but it worked. Good luck! We are dealing with our second monkey child in Jane.

The Foote Family said...

Poor little guy, and poor you! I am so glad he didn't get hurt more though! That is a blessing. Sounds like you have excitement in your "grown up" life with moving and what not. Glad to see you are doing well! =o)

FSUSammy said...

Hi there! I posted this on the TOT Collar post but since it was back in February I figured you might not be checking the comments on that so I figured I'd try reposting on a more recent post. Hope you don't mind.

I came across your blog via a google search on TOT collars. My 7 1/2 month old has been in PT for 3 moths now and his therapist is thinking we need a TOT collar for the times that he regresses. Can you possibly email me I'd love to ask some questions about how it has worked out for you guys. You can email me at fsusammy[at]gmail[dot]com

Thanks!

~Sam

Brittney said...

Ok, I had 2 extreme reactions when reading this. 1) I felt so bad for poor baby Ethan! I hope he's ok. And 2) I couldn't help but crack up picturing you, Ash, hiding in the corner of Ethan's room just waiting. Oh my goodness. I miss you being my roommate! haha. Hope you're doing well!