Sunday, August 2, 2015

Puerto Rico- December 2014


It seems as if Justin and I kinda like to take off every year for our anniversary and go somewhere fun. Every year we say that we will stay in town and do something low key and chill, but every year we decide we need the break and go. I must admit, it's refreshing. 
For our 9 year anni, we booked a last minute (like bought our tickets the week of) flight to Puerto Rico. We'd never been there before so it was so fun exploring a new place.


 Once we checked into our hotel, we took a long walk down the beach, ate dinner and watched the evening clouds settle in. 

I honestly can't remember the order in which we did things but the picture below was taken right before we went on a 3 mile moonlit kayaking tour through pitch black mangroves to a special lagoon well known for it's bioluminescence. I didn't have my phone with me so I have no pictures of it. It was really neat to see the special algae light up when disturbed by the movement of the water. 


 We woke up the next morning to this beautiful beach vista from our hotel window. Not bad. 

We hopped in our rental car and drove to the Las Cuevas del Indio. These caves were pretty cool to explore.



And the view from outside of the caves was impressive...







This area was worth the visit. We paid like $3 per person to explore the caves and then they just let us hike around and hop around from beach to beach along the coastline. 

We found ourselves at Mermaid Beach where the mermaid scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean VI were filmed. 


The force of the water hitting the rocks was pretty intense. This wave was a particularly huge and forceful one that took me down, dragged me to shore, and cut up my legs pretty badly on volcanic rock. It was worth the picture though!


This was the third beach on that coastline that we explored.  It was picturesque. 


Later that same day we went to some of the more popular beaches. The water was warm and crystal clear. 



 On another day, we went to see the El Yunque Tropical Rainforest. 


 This place was so much fun. We made the hike down to La Coca Falls and got poured on as we were hiking back. It was a good thing we had on our swimsuits because we were drenched. It was a blast!

It was a super short trip (3 days, 4 nights) but it was so nice ad refreshing to get away....just the two of us :) I can't believe we have been married for 9 years! I love sharing every moment with Justin and our kiddos. They are better than I deserve!

No comments: