I forgot to add this picture in to the previous post. Did I mention that our kids were exhausted? Yes, I am fully aware that she is not properly wearing her seatbelt (and obviously the duck tape on the straps did not work), but I just had to laugh when I turned around to see that she had shoved her blanket up her shirt to look just like her momma ;) I actually caught her the other day with it the same way while jumping rope. I guess she sees her momma exercising with her big belly and she wants to do the same.. haha!
Anyway, when Justin realized that we would be passing right through Bluewater, NM where his great- grandfather and beyond are from, we had to make that stop.
This is the house where his Grandpa Chapman was raised in.
And this is the gravestone of his Great-Grandpa Chapman. Apparently, he fell off of a windmill and died when Justin's grandpa was just a little boy. Justin has a lot of family buried in this cemetery.
Grandpa Chapman had heard that his dad carved his initials into the nearby dam but has never been able to find them. So Justin took on the challenge and scaled the rocks all the way down and up to look for them.
After more than a hour, he was able to find them!
It's really hard to read in this picture but at the top it says " E.C. Chapman" which stands for Ernest Collins Chapman.
Grandpa Chapman was elated that Justin took the time to find this for him. I admit, I was less than elated waiting in the car for over an hour with swollen feet, a full bladder, and grumpy kids who had already been stuck in the car for a ridiculous amount of time, BUT I'm glad that Justin was able to stop here and see a bit of his families history. It was important to him :)
And then we finally made it home 6 hours later, which marked the end of our month long vacation. We then left a week and half later for a family reunion in Utah but that is for another post :)


No comments:
Post a Comment