Tuesday, November 5, 2013

October Break... UTAH!

Here in AZ, our schools give us a week off for October break! Really, I think it's just an excuse for everyone to celebrate the start of cooler weather and to head up north to enjoy the leaves changing to fall colors. We took full advantage of the week off and spent the whole time up in Utah. We really hadn't spent any more time than a quick weekend trip up there since we graduated BYU 4.5 years ago. I was dying for a trip!

Justin was in Spain the week we left to go, so on Friday I loaded up the kids and drove all the way! Jordan (Justin's youngest bro) was amazing to ride with me and be the binky finder, the food giver, the movie changer, etc. Thank you Jordan!

Amazingly, we made awesome time and even had time to stop in Provo to eat a yummy dinner that Justin's sister, Chanda,  made just for us!


She is so awesome. 

Justin flew in from Spain that night so we left Chanda's and drove to SLC to pick up Justin. 

We stayed the whole week with Justin's cousins, Austin & Roseane. They are amazing hosts and it was SO fun being able to spend time with them. Thank you, thank you Petersen's! We owe you... like a lot!

Ethan and Ellie had cousins, Alyssa and Mia, to pal around and play with the whole time and Mason was pretty much obsessed with their sweet dog...
                                      


That is one amazing dog to put up with what our children put her through!

Austin has some fun toys. I'd say they were a hit!




Awesome helmet hair!


Sat and Sunday was General Conference. This is where twice a year, we get to hear from our Prophet, Thomas S. Monson and other church leaders. It always recharges my batteries and I love and look forward to hearing their talks. 

During Priesthood Session (Saturday evening), the boys all go to a meeting, while the ladies get to hang out and shop! Shopping is never appealing with kids in tow, so we did the next best thing and met Chanda and Lindsay (sis in laws) at Chick Fil A. I had 5 kids under the age of 6 with me. It was fun! In any other state I would've been looked at like I was crazy. Luckily I fit right in in Utah!


 Mason loved Aunt Chanda's ice cream!

On Sunday evening, we all went up to Draper to Justin's aunts house. Rhonda and Art are always so sweet to invite such a large group into their gorgeous home. And they cook the best food!

Their daughter and grandsons are staying with them for a little while and their little grandson, I totally forgot his name, has the coolest car! Ellie LOVED driving it around!

Here are my gorgeous in laws. Sisters and mother.


The day after General Conference, we decided to go to Temple Square where the Salt Lake Temple, Conference Center, The Tabernacle and Church Headquarters are located. It was good timing to go there the day after conference. Hardly anyone was there!
                                                   

These are the beautiful Salt Lake City temple doors. This temple took 40 years to build! It's even more impressive inside. 

When these two smile, I think that's when they look the most like siblings.


Mason was loving running around everywhere, and especially running away from us :)


We tried to get a good picture of all the kids together. This was seriously as good as we got!


Isn't the temple gorgeous? There was a lot of blood, sweat, and I'm sure tears that went into building this temple. 
If you want to watch a beautiful story about John Rowe Moyle, a stonecutter for the Salt Lake Temple, click  HERE. It's well worth the 3 minutes! 

This is inside the Conference Center, where we get to hear from our Prophet and church leaders during General Conference. The Mormon Tabernacle choir also performs here. This is the largest auditorium (where the seats are all facing forward) in the world. It's spectacular.

On top of the conference center are trees and shrubs native to both the west dessert and the east forrest pine trees. It's really cool. 

The outside of the Conference Center. 


Amazingly, my AZ Science Center pass gets me into all the museums up in UT for free! So we definitely took advantage. After temple square, we went to Discovery Gateway. So fun!



Mason was overjoyed that he could put as many bananas as he wanted in his cart! He was not so happy that he couldn't eat them, however. He pushed that thing all over the place saying, "na na, na na!" over and over. It was really cute!







The next day, we went down to Provo. I love this place. I have so many wonderful memories here. 

First stop was Bridal Veil falls, located not too faraway from campus. 



This is the safe way to feed fish! Strap the kid in the stroller!




Everyone decided to hike it last minute so I learned to never wear your good boots while hiking. Unfortunately they are all scuffed up! But... it was worth it :)




                                 

After, we headed over to Vivian Park and played around.


We even found President Monson's cabin!

The next day we headed up to Salt Lake and went to University of Utah's Natural History Museum. 
It was fabulous. 

The pictures don't do justice to how beautiful this place is. It pretty much puts all other museums of natural history to shame. 

Putting puzzles together and playing some games that were there. 


We did the Beehive House tour (Brigham Young's house), and after ate at the Lion House.. yummm!!!



Oh how I wish I could make rolls like they can!

We also introduced our kids to BYU Creamery chocolate milk. Pretty much the best choc milk in the world. 

After we were done eating, Mason ran all the way down the street to go say hi to this flag. His obsession is really quite funny. 


One of the days, we went with Austin and his family to Trafalga for some games and fun! It was a really rainy and cold day so this was the perfect outing!

Things got serious playing laser tag though...

The majority of people playing were under the age of 10. It's always a humbling experience to realize you've been hit by a 4 yr old :)

Bot our kids climbed the rock wall! That Ellie, she's a tough one!

Austin and Roseane introduced us to Mama Mia's. Yum. So good!

On Friday we went to Cornbelly's for some fall fun!









After, we headed right next door for the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point. 

On Saturday we were in Provo pretty much the whole day for BYU's Homecoming day activities and football game. 

We started out the day with the homecoming parade.

Isn't Mount Timpanogos gorgeous?? 

We took a walk around and through campus and fed the ducks at the Botany pond on the way. 

Later that day, we went to the football game. Gooooo Cougars!!!

                                     Justin and I went on many dates to this place! It was so fun to be back here and reminiscence on how we got together, see the places we used to go, and best of all we had our kids there this time to enjoy it with us!

I sure do love this handsome guy and I'm so grateful I met him here!

This is seriously the best picture we could get of everyone... Ha!
                                     




After the game (we won!!), we drove up to Rexburg, Idaho for Celeste's baby blessing (Barrett and Lindsay's little baby). It was a beautiful blessing and she is such a beautiful little girl! Sadly, I only have these two pictures. I guess I was having too much fun chatting with family. I'll make sure to take some pictures of Celeste at Christmas so i can show you just how cute she is!

We went to church with B & L right next to the beautiful Rexburg, ID Temple. 


Here's the whole gang!


So we had a great week playing in UT and seeing the rest of the family up in ID. Justin and I were seriously trying to think of any excuse to buy another home up there. Maybe someday!

2 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

This makes me so excited to go next week!!!

Karen said...

What an amazing Utah trip! Such a good time to go!