Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Miami & the Keys

Justin and I took a little workcation together to Miami FL last week. I love, love, love getting away with Justin. I know there are some people (I don't think these people read my blog) who may think that we travel too much and spend too much time away from our kiddos, but I don't think two times a year is really all that much and let's be honest...it's really, really good for a marriage to get away. Like really good. Every couple needs it and honestly, I always feel re-charged and ready to be a better wife and mother when I come back from vacation! Ok, stepping off my little soap box....

Justin and his brother Davin had a trade show to attend in Miami and Stephanie and I were lucky enough to go with them! The first few days the boys were working and had meetings but when they were done on the last day of the conference, we headed down to South Beach.

Sure this beach is kind of the trendy thing to do but boy is it sure pretty! The water has amazing clarity and the temperature is perfect.

After the trade show was over, we drove down to the Florida Keys for a few days. I LOVE the keys. 

We rented kayaks and went out to Indian Island to explore. 

Davin and Steph 


Indian Island was a small wrecking community in the mid 1800s. They would look for nearby shipwrecks and raid the ship for treasure or anything of value. Unfortunately, they were run out and most of the buildings were destroyed by Indians. Some of the foundations were still there though. 



These little hermit crab guys were all over the island. Most of them were little ones but this guy was pretty big one!

I wish we could grow tropical plants in AZ. I miss the wooded areas of Texas, but I definitely don't miss the bugs...

After we explored the island, we snorkeled in the area behind us. We saw a sting ray, some cool fish and a lobster. It was fun!


After the island, we hopped back on our kayaks and paddled through the Mangroves. It was so cool and so beautiful. Davin and Stephanie even saw a manatee.


It's a good thing I wasn't raised in the world of  "selfies." I don't think I would have been too good at it :)



Once we made it out of the mangroves, we had a beautiful view of the sunset. 








The next day we went down to the southernmost point and then after we went to explore the Key West graveyard. 



This graveyard was really cool and unique. This mausoleum down below was supposedly custom to the Louisiana burial culture. 

There were some old headstones here! It was really cool seeing how so many different cultures and beliefs were all buried here in one place. 

I hope that whenever I die someday, I can have the sense of humor to put something like these people did on my headstone...
"I'm just resting my eyes"


Later that day, we took a speedboat tour of the keys.
Supposedly this boat could go up to 70mph but we went 45 and I could barely even keep my eyelids closed and my hair was pelting my face!

Before we took off....

After we took off... 
Ok, the lady in the back is making it look way too easy.... :)


We also took a trolley ride around town and had the coolest tour guide tell us all about Key West and it's history. I found the tour fascinating and loved it!

They have these iguanas all over the place. I almost felt like we were back in Mexico again seeing these guys sunbathing everywhere. 


How cool to be a mile marker 0!!

That evening Justin and I went to Mallory Square to watch the sunset and also to watch all the street performers out doing their thing. 

This guy was actually pretty impressive!




We also watch a guy known as the "crazy cat man" and that guy was seriously nuttier than a fruitcake. He had trained cats to jump through hoops of fire but I think he was actually the craziest part of the show. Justin and I were cracking up at how weird this guy was. I'm not usually one to refer to people as crazy or weird but really... this guy was. We couldn't understand most of what he was saying as I think he was speaking half English, half Italian, and half his own made up language. You should YouTube him. 

On our way back to Miami we stopped to play and snorkel at a beach on the Bahia Onda Key. 





I thought the picture below was pretty cool with the rain clouds behind us. Luckily, it passed around us.

Davin bought a trainer kite surfing kite in Hawaii and so the boys had fun flying that around for awhile. I tried it and I think that is definitely a mans kite. That thing is powerful and was dragging me all over the place!

To end our vacation, we went on an airboat ride through the everglades. 
It was SO cool!




Our guide was nice and super informative. He took us to an island where the Miccosukee Indians lived not too long ago. He told us that they used to sleep on tables and put fish fat on the legs of the tables so the snakes couldn't crawl up during the night. There are 6 different types of poisonous snakes that live in the everglades. I say, no gracias. 

I was super surprised to see these friendly and domesticated raccoons come running up to us. I guess food can make even the most ornery animals be nice.  

It was SO wonderful to get away with my hubby and it was fun having family with us. Davin and Stephanie  were good sports to go along with how many activities we like to do on "vacation". 

We are so blessed with such a great job. The company is so great to allow me to tag along occasionally. And of course, a HUGE thank you to sweet Caryn for watching our kiddos. We LOVE you!!

5 comments:

Brittney said...

Haha- your selfie comment made me laugh. I'm right there with ya... I always look terrible. Florida looks beautiful! And travel away, girl! If I had a little extra moola and some close-by grandparents to babysit, I'd be all over it. Until then, I will live vicariously through your travels. :)

P.S. I saw your comment on my blog. Which football game are you going to?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I swear, you two have the most fun life! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I swear, you two have the MOST fun life! :)

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

ILoveIt,IFeelIDefendOurAdventuresToo,KeepOnKeepingOn.

Karen said...

Love your swimsuit. Where did you get it? Does the top stay down well when you get into the water? I'm in need of a new suit. Can you tell?!