Tuesday, January 22, 2013

New-ish Calling in Church!

I wish I was a better blogger. Really, I do. There are so many things that I want to document of our little family (who is growing up way too fast) but I just can't seem to find the time to sit down and do it! It's almost like I feel guilty taking time away from my kids/husband to document us spending time with them. Oh that darn mother guilt.... it gets me every time! But seriously, how do mom's find time to blog about their families with multiple kids?? Do you just make it a priority? 

Anyway, despite what I write, or dont write about on here,  just know that we are usually having fun! Except for last week- I was basically on my death bed for 4 days with a nasty flu and Ellie watched Disney Jr for just about 4 days straight. I remember almost nothing of at least 2 of those days :) We are all better and almost back to normal now.

Anyway, back to the point of my post :) When we moved in our new ward back in August, Justin and I got new callings in our church about a month later. They called Justin to be the choir pianist (I totally tattled on him and let his beautiful talent out of the bag :) and they called me to be the Primary chorister!  Our ward is gigantic and we have 3 primary's. Yep, you read right... 3 primary's. We have a big Junior and a really big Intermediate and then a gigantic Senior. Oh and did I mention that we have 6 nursery classes! Crazy. Any way, they called me to be the chorister for the little Junior primary (3-5 yr olds). When the counselor of the bishopric met with me he said something like, "Now we really have no idea if you are musically inclined in any way but your name definitely kept popping up when talking about this calling..." He then gave me the look like, please tell me that you have some sort of musical ability somewhere inside you! I told him that I'm not really musically inclined but I can sing in a big, and I mean really big ward choir where the sound of my voice doesn't matter :) When I saw the worried look on his face I laughed and said, "But no worries, I studied Early Childhood Education so it's kinda right in my wheel house." He look relieved and I was so excited for this opportunity!

It's been a few months since then and I am absolutely loving my calling!! Once you get passed the initial thought of "there are all these adults in the room watching me be ridiculously animated and a bit over the top", it's smooth sailing from there! The kids are so much fun and we are all learning together! Since I joined the LDS faith when i was 17 yrs old, I didn't have the opportunity to learn primary songs when I was little, and this has been a fabulous opportunity to do just that! Sure there are times when I think I know the song and then start to sing it in front of the kids and butcher it- bad, but the little kids don't care and they love you no matter what! SO glad I got the juniors instead of the probably not so forgiving seniors!! Oh and can I just say that I love all you people out there who post everything you do in your callings to the internet...thank you for making a lot of our lives easier!!! They always give at least a good base point to start from :) 

So while I'm on a quest to update our lives on here, I thought I'd at least start with that. We both love our callings and serving in our church!

5 comments:

Carlie said...

That's really exciting! I just got the same calling in October! But my primary isn't as huge, so I work with the junior primary and the sometimes unforgiving senior primary (its not so bad). I love the calling too! I've definitely been able to put to use some strategies learned in the good old ECE program! And I totally agree about those who blog about this calling, it helps so much!

Janice Richardson said...

How fun! I've subede a few times as the chorister and I agree with you about getting over adults watching. The kids are so fun to work with. And I would come home with a sore throat from talking/singing loudly! :) And as far as blogging goes, I just try to get things down, even if it's not very descriptive. I'm printing our blog as a family journal, so it is a priority for me, even when it gets pushed to the side.

Gooch Family said...

Holy primary!! Sounds like a wonderful ward though with a LOT of young families. How fun! When we were in 169th ward I got called as the primary pianist and I had never played in front of anyone...ever, except at home of course, and I am not that great of a piano player as it is. I was freaked out, thank goodness there was like 5 kids, haha. Good times. Good luck, I bet you are great!

As for blogging, I started doing it Sunday evenings after the kids were in bed. It has become the best time since Sunday is so chill, but we have tons of great family time before the kids go to bed, and I feel like it's a good Sunday activity keeping track of our family journal. Anyway, just a suggestion!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

I always thought b/c of being a convert and primary never being something I attended I would LIVE in primary my whole life, but nope. We did a stint as co-teachers for CTR 5 in CA when I was pregnant with my first but that was it (favorite calling by the way, team teaching primary with Jake). GO YOU! I love it! OH and because seminary "converted" me I have a dream of teaching it someday!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

is it stalkerish to want to click the "see follow up comments" box but didn't on the last comment? I'm doing that now lol