Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Pennsylvania- September


Back in September, I had the absolute privilege of flying out to meet my dad and grandma in Pennsylvania for 4 days. My Grandma is from Carlisle, a small town in central PA, and almost her whole entire family still lives out there.  She is the 6th of 12 kids and 8 of them are all of still alive and live in Carlisle, or close to it. 

I have never met any of grandma's siblings but I grew up hearing stories of them and what it was like for them growing up in a small industrial town. It was an absolute honor to be there and was a trip of a lifetime.

This is my Grandma (on the right) with her older sister, Thelma. These two are so funny together. They have their own nicknames for each other and Thelma's is "Johnny Reb"...Not sure how that nickname came to be but it somehow fits Thelma's cute, fun and a little bit sassy personality. You'd never know Thelma is 93! She goes up and down her steep row house stairs many times a day and she loves to eat! Thelma is #3 of the 12. 

This handsome guy below was Thelma's boyfriend after her husband died for many, many years. This was a picture of him used as life sized WWII propaganda. I wish I could remember his name!

We also got to visit Ed and his sweet wife, Marion. Ed is kid #7 and is 2 years younger than my grandma.

I was amazed at the longevity of this side of the family. All of them are in good health both mentally and physically. I want to be like that when I'm in my 90's! Hopefully I'll make it :)

Bob is Logan kid #4. He is 91 years old! He also is very much into family history and I giddily came home with a huge stack of all the research he has done. 

They took me to the quaintest little cemetery and showed me where my Great great grandma, Allecia Inez and her son (my great grandpa) Arthur Sr is buried. Arthur's wife (my great grandma) Jennie Pearl, and their son, Arthur Jr. (#1 son who died from a brain hemorrhage at 28 yrs old) is buried here as well. Out of 12 kids, Arthur Jr. is the only one who preceded his parents in death. 





My dad and I took a day to drive down to Hershey, PA and visited the chocolate factory there and took a bus tour around the city. I didn't know the Hershey's story before but I was so impressed with the wonderful people they were and how much good they brought to the city. They were definitely inspired people. 

I enjoyed just being a fly on the wall when all the siblings got together to talk and reminisce. They grew up in pretty tough circumstances but they had a mother than help the family stick together like glue. There was not one bad thing said by any of the siblings about their mom Jennie Pearl. I grew up hearing stories of her. How much she loved to cook for everyone, how hard she worked at ironing laundry for some extra money, and how she never ate until everyone else was done eating. I also heard stories of how her small 5' frame was full of fiery spunk as well!
It was at this moment above that I counted up the years of all those sweet people sitting there and realized that there were a whole lot of years, wisdom, stories, and experiences in that room!

One day, Dad and I went to Gettysburg. We took a guided tour and I loved learning more about that part of our nations history and actually seeing where it all took place. 
For some reason I went, expecting..or hoping.. to have a Remember the Titans moment here, and didn't quite have it, but it was still so neat to see. 
Remember that part on the movie?? They woke up at the crack of dawn and went running to Gettysburg, and where Denzel Washington gave them an inspiring and uplifting speech that brought the team finally together?? Please tell me that I'm not the only one that watched that movie like 500 times in High school. Ahhh, so good.





We also got to see kids # 9( Richard/Dick) , #11(Jerry) & #12( Gary/ Butch). This is the baby of the family, Butch. I think he and my grandma look so much alike!

So as I said before, I grew up hearing what it was like growing up with 12 kids smushed all together in one row house, so it was so fun for me to get to visit the house that they all grew up in! The yellowish house below is where all the kids, except for a few at the end, were born.

But this house below is the one that everyone still calls "Mum's House." It the house that everyone really remembers and that holds so many memories for them. 

Dick (#9) bought the house after their mom died and has lived in it ever since. He has of course remodeled it from it's poor condition that it was in before but the layout is all the same. 

Apparently Dick doesn't like or take too many pictures so he was so kind to willingly take one for me :)


These row houses are only like 12' wide!




Above is the boys room upstairs. This is where all 8 boys were suppose to sleep.... but instead, most of them just slept out on the roof right outside their window, pictured below.


The steep and narrow stairs.

Before I flew out to go back home, Dad and I went and walked around the cute, old town of Carlisle. My grandpa loved coming to visit Carlisle and him and my dad used to talk long, long walks around the city. My grandpa loved history and Carlisle just happens to be full of it. 


The town's cemetery was really neat to walk around in, and was quite old for this newer country of ours. We just happen to come across famous Molly Pitcher's grave too. :) It was kind of hard to miss. 



I felt so blessed to be able to go on this amazing trip and meet so many relatives that I have grown up hearing about. I'm so grateful that Justin gave me the opportunity to go while he watched the kids for me back at home. I don't know if the opportunity to go back will ever happen again with my grandma but if it does, Justin and I will be there!

No comments: