Thursday, February 7, 2013

Failure to Thrive

Sweet Mason was labeled as a 'failure to thrive' baby about a month ago. My pediatrician has been worried about his lack of weight gain since he was about 2 months old but we were wanting to give it a little more time to see if he started following his own growth curve or not. At his 6 month appointment, he was only 11 lbs 8 oz and his growth chart showed no improvement, only a continued flat line. Doctors don't typically worry about skinny babies as long as they are following their own little curve. When they flat line, then they start to be concerned. 

Just for the record, Mason is and always has been a great eater. At the time he was nursing from me 4 times a day and eating 4-6 oz of baby food 3 times a day. He is a real good eater so it was a bit concerning as to why he wasn't gaining the weight he needed. 

So my pediatrician ordered Mason some blood tests and an appointment with the G.I. specialist to see what the problem was. When Mason's blood tests came back, something showed up abnormal with his liver so they sent me to Phoenix Children's to a liver specialist within the G.I department. By the time we got in he was  8 months old at 12 pounds. Long story short, they did more blood test and everything came back fine with his liver but they labeled him as 'failure to thrive' and had me talk with a nutritionist there about how we can get him to gain some chub. She  strongly recommended only nursing him 2x's a day and power packing his bottles with formula (3 scoops for every 5oz) and giving him 1.5 tsp of straight up olive oil in his baby food. So... that's what I've been doing for the past month! I was really sad to cut down the nursings but the nutritionist said that they cant control how many calories he is getting from my breastmilk but they can control it via formula and honestly I felt like it was the right thing to do. And you know what... Mason is chunking up quite nicely! I don't know how much he weighs now but his cheeks are filled out, he's starting to get a little double chin, and his hair is starting to really come in! I think that boy just needed some good nutrition in him... I must be producing fat free milk I suppose :)

Here are 2 pictures of Mason at the beginning of January, before we started the olive oil diet....


I didn't even realize just how skinny he looked!


And here is Mason a month later, last Sunday..... can you see the difference??
Turns out pouring olive oil into your meals causes weight gain :) Isn't he a cute kid?

So we go back at the end of February for his well check and we'll see how much he weighs but I think he's doing pretty good!

Oh and how could I forget! Along with Mason's blood tests they checked him for any allergies and the dairy allergy test came up negative- WHAT?! How long has that been negative?! Apparently he grew out of his allergy! Woohoo! So we've been slowly adding a little dairy back into our diets and he is chugging down milk-based formula just fine. I always thought that once I could have dairy again that I would go crazy and buy tons of ice cream and chocolate but honestly, I don't even crave it or want it. Sad huh. I'm sure ill eventually get used to it again and go back to my nightly bowl fo ice cream. :)


10 comments:

Gooch Family said...

Wow HUGE difference in his face! So glad you could figure it out. I was the same way when I went back to dairy. I didn't think I'd ever get back to drinking milk like I had before, and eating ice cream, but it sloowly came back unfortunately and now I can eat cheese with the best of them again :)

Marin said...

Wow he looks great!!! He is A REALLY CUTE BOY! Glad you guys got everything under control!!

We had a lot of problems with our kids not gaining weight too. It is sooo hard especially wen you're trying to nurse. Maybe all my kids just needed a LITTLE OLIVE OIL!!! Good to know! I think my milk was fat free too! Even when I pumped it never looked like cream like my sisters :( You guys sure have a cute family!!

Marin said...

Wow he sure is a CUTE KID!! Glad you guys have figured out what he needed to gain the weight!

All my babies had a hard time gaining weight and it was stressful especially when your trying to nurse. But good to know that the olive oil works! Guess all my babies needed some of that!

Your family is sure cute!! Glad you're doing well!

Janice Richardson said...

He's looking so good! I'm glad the olive oil is working!

Chad and Jessica Sims said...

OMG! He is sooo cute! I miss you guys! He has put on so much weight.. He looks adorable. I hope you guys come down soon.

Emily said...

Way to go, he looks great, what a cutie. You are such a cute mommy Ashleigh!

Unknown said...

oh my God....ur son is really cute..hope when i had married with someone..i will get a cute son like ur first son......a boy perhaps...

Jamie said...

What a handsome little guy. I'm so relieved to hear that he is doing so much better. What a scary experience to go through!

I'm so glad you liked the little video I made for Emme. In answer to your camera question, I have a Canon 60D. For most of the portraits in the video I used my 50 mm 1.8 fixed lens.

Hope that helps! Thanks for always doing such a great job of keeping in touch. Your family is the cutest.

Jamie

Jamie said...

What a handsome little guy. I'm so relieved to hear that he is doing so much better. What a scary experience to go through!

I'm so glad you liked the little video I made for Emme. In answer to your camera question, I have a Canon 60D. For most of the portraits in the video I used my 50 mm 1.8 fixed lens.

Hope that helps! Thanks for always doing such a great job of keeping in touch. Your family is the cutest.

Jamie

Buchfam said...

You have a beautiful Family Ashleigh! Little Mason is a cutie! I am so glad that he's put on some weight! We're always worried about our babies' weight gain at about that age too and I've done the olive oil diet for them. Its a party! I figure its better than having to limit what they eat? Maybe? Anyway, congratualtions on such adorable kiddos!