Tuesday, September 18, 2012

August- Ethan Goes to Kindergarten

On August 8th, the much anticipated and long awaited day was here for our not so little boy. Ethan went to Kindergarten. He was so excited. I wanted to be a "good" mom and take him to school his first day. I envisioned joyfully walking him up to his classroom hand in hand, departing with a hug and a kiss and then secretly watch him start his very first day through the classroom window. 

Unfortunately it was more like, wait for 20 minutes to find a parking spot, run him up to school 30 minutes late with Ellie and Mason in tow, and then giving him a quick hug while trying to keep a screaming and kicking Ellie from entering the classroom all while trying to carry Mason as well. I tried to act happy and excited for him though. Really, I felt like a circus act and I walked out of there in frustrated tears vowing never again to bring him to school I also felt so bad that his first morning of school had to be like that. I guess that is just sometimes how it is with 3 little kiddos. 

I did manage to get a picture of him in front of his classroom though. 
The next morning we decided to take the bus and things ran much more smoothly. He loves riding the bus! Pretty much all the neighborhood kids ride the bus so it makes it fun. Here he is with our neighbor Chloe. 

Our awesome neighbors, the Wagners, have kids the exact same ages as ours. I'd like to say that Ethan and Chloe are the best of friends but I think they are too much alike for that :)

If you would have asked me back in April if I was ready for Ethan to go to Kindergarten I would have said no way and probably would have teared up at the thought of it. After a full summer of "I'm bored"'s and refereeing between the constant fighting of him and Ellie, I was more than ready for him to go.  He desperately needed it and it has been one of the best things for him. For those of you who know Ethan, you know just how strong- willed and er... difficult... he can be. I really thought that the principal and I would be the best of friends. It turns out that Ethan is just the opposite at school. We have had NO behavioral problems and it seems like he is a dream to have in the classroom- HALLELUJAH!!! 

Everyday around lunch time I always find myself thinking, "Awww, I wish Ethan were here to eat with us" but when he comes home from the bus and tells me, "Mommy, I just LOVE school and I just LOVE my teacher" I know that he is where he is suppose to be and I couldn't be happier for him. I'm not going to lie, it's kind of nice to just have Ellie and Mason at home. I feel like Ellie always gets the back burner when Ethan is home and it's been so nice to get to spend one on one time with just her. 

One last thing, we had jut a little scare on about the 3rd day of school when Ethan didn't get off the bus. The bus driver walky talkied to all the other bus drivers seeing if Ethan was on their bus but no one had him. I think I kept my clam pretty well but inside I was thinking of all sorts of horrible scenarios of where he could be. After what seemed like forever, they finally found him at the school just waiting for his mommy to come pick him up. Nice. When I went to pick him up we talked about how he always needs to get on the bus! :)

He was only in school for 3 days when we took the whole family for a week long trip to the east coast. He has already missed 6 days of school and we are only a month in! I'm not to worried about him missing anything academically, the kid already reads like a 3rd grader. I guess we do need to get used to being a bit more restrictive on our travel though! Stay tuned for our trip details!



5 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

Your morning taking Ethan sounds like mine taking Aimi Lark! I felt so rushed out after taking her in. It made me so sad to feel booted. I thought it would go differently. I always thought that's another reason I'd love home school. I'm not one to conform to others schedules very well. I am glad Jake teaches in her district, good incentive for her not to miss because he can't miss :)

Amy said...

Oh, our little twin kids! I feel like you live my life, only with more exotic travels and a nicer house. Haha.

Heather Dayton said...

Kindergarten already?! Crazy. I can totally relate to feeling like a circus in public sometimes. Totally embarrassing, but obviously worth it :) I would have been so scared too with the bus incident. Poor Ethan and poor you! I'm so glad that he loves it so much. He is SO handsome by the way. :)

jeff and alli said...

I fell asleep on the bus one time and the bus driver found me when he was cleaning the bus at the end of his day.

So glad Ethan is a good student! Makes life so much easier, for everyone right?

You are wonderful Ashleigh. Have a great day.

Kayla and Joshua said...

hahaha I love how much he has already missed, oops! oh well he won't remember those 6 days, we will remember the time he spent with y'all! I kind of don't believe he was difficult at home because I wouldn't know where he got it. I can't see you with a mean/bad/difficult bone in YOUR body so i don't believe it! I think you have the picture perfect little family with well behaved kids and always with a clean house eating healthy food. if it's not that way-you are doing a REALLY good job showing it! lol