So it looks like you guys won't be hearing much from me on this blog due to my basically brand new Mac laptop crashing and burning on me. Bummer. A couple months ago it started to have trouble charging but still worked just fine if I kept it plugged in. I meant to take it in to the Mac Store to see what the problem was but we were out of town so much that I didn't get a chance to go. Well about a week ago it wasn't charging at all and would shut off at random times so I decided to bring it in. I just thought it was a charging problem that was going to be something was easy to fix and wouldn't cost us money, but turns out that wasn't the case. The guy told me today that there is severe water damage to the motherboard and some other important parts that I don't remember and that it had corroded and was growing white mold all over it. Confused, I told the guy that he must be mistaken and surely got my computer confused with someone else's because mine has never even been close to water or any other liquid to where that could happen. He assured me that he was looking at my computer and told me that it would cost $950.00 to fix! I started crying and embarrassingly sniffled out that Justin would be in the store to talk to him later that day. Turns out, they charged us $100 for that service, which they did NOT tell us about! Ohh... it makes me upset when people throw hidden fees at you! I have absolutely NO idea how this could have happened and I am still baffled as to how water got in my laptop! The only thing I can think of is maybe Ethan had his water cup, which is suppose to be spill proof, near the computer and accidentally splashed some on it or maybe he stuck his slobbery fingers into the charge outlet. I never remember having to wipe water off my computer though. Weird and frustrating.
So anyways, all of my pictures are on the computer (which luckily all my info can still be recovered since the hardrive wasn't damaged) so I probably won't be posting anytime soon until we get all this figured out. I'm stuck between 2 choices....
1) take my computer to the fix it place in Houston (we are going there anyways tomorrow) and have them fix it for 900 buckaroos
or 2) Retrieve all the info off my mac and use my old HP laptop that still works well and don't fix the mac.
I dont know what to choose because I basically bought the mac so that I could use iMovie to "scrapbook" our lives through movies with our pictures and videos from all of our trips that we have taken and will take. I feel like if I dont fix it then I wasted $1300 bucks on a laptop since I didn't get to make all the movies I wanted to, but then if i fix it, i'll be spending $1000 more. If I decided to just use my HP, there are some other programs I can buy that allow me to make movies but they aren't near as good as iMovie.... Oh man, what to do what to do. I really dont want to spend that money to fix it but I really want my computer back too. What would you guys do? Would you be absolutely broken-hearted like I am? I seriously would love to know what you would do in this situation...
On a more positive note, We are leaving tomorrow morning ( actually in like 5 hours- i should probably go to bed) to fly out to Texas to my parents house for Thanksgiving! We will be there until next Monday when Justin and I say good-bye to Ethan and my parents for a whole two weeks while we travel EUROPE! I don't know what i will do without my little buddy for two weeks but I'm hoping Europe can keep me entertained enough to where I don't go crazy from not seeing Ethan for that long. We will be going to London, Paris, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary (to pick up Justin's brother from his mission) and Turkey (for Justin's work). It should be fun and I'm really excited to experience this part of the world that I've never been. So anyways, once we come back in mid- December, I'll try to get all caught up on my posts... starting with Halloween. Better late than never, right?! Thanks for "listening" and I hope everyone has a fabulous Thanksgiving!
8 comments:
Ash, I would get a second opinion somewhere else that would not charge you for the "diagnostic fee"...I don't know if you could find a place like that, but if you tell them your situation and they know you're a frustrated customer, they may do anything to make you happy just in case they are the ones you choose to fix it...there's just got to be a way around paying $1000.00!!
I would have cried too! I hope it gets sorted out. Honestly I have no idea what I would do about fixing the computer or using my old one. You did make me excited about the idea of imovie...
I think you should have your mom check the papers for a black friday deal. You can probably get the same computer you have brand new for about 900 bucks. So long as you know how to get the goods off the hard drive. :)
So sorry to hear about the laptop! Soooo annoying! Wish I had advice but don't. As for your travels, how awesome is that?! 2 weeks!? That will be so fun. Good luck to your parents, that is a long time with a toddler :)
(I know Justin from high school years, we were in the same ward, I hope you don't mind me commenting :))
How old is your computer? If it's under a year, that should be covered under warranty. If not, do you have Apple Care? We had our motherboard fry on our old iMac, and the charge was $850 to repair. Thankfully, we had Apple Care and paid $0.
That really is a bummer, I love my MacBook...and for the same reasons you bought yours!
Cassi (Liles) Curry
Cassicurry@cox.net
*My blog is private, but I'd be happy to invite you if you would like to send your email, so you know I'm not some weirdo...lol :)
so sorry, that stinks. i have no idea what we would do.
i might get a second opinion or let the company know that i never allowed water near my computer so maybe they sold me a bad computer and see if i could get some warranty deal....which might require phone calls. (and i probably wouldn't do that but would have jeff do it)
but on the other note, have a blast in Europe! i'm jealous. i served in France and would love to take the trip you are taking and see all those memories again. you'll love it, it is beautiful.
and i don't think i commented but your NY/DC...trip looked awesome. made me want to go and see some new things.
Ash...when will you be in London? Want to hang out? Let me know!
If you're out of warranty, ask how much it would be to extend the warranty and see if that would cover it. Derek's computer crashed (it was an HP, not a MAC), but it was going to cost like $400 and he talked to several of their customer service reps, each telling him something different, and finally he got a guy that suggested the extended warranty for $150. So it was $150 instead of $400 which was still lame but better than the alternative. Keep talking to different reps, you'll probably get one that is a little more creative w/ your options.
Have fun in Europe! Glad you get to vacation before the next one comes. And good luck w/ the rest of pregnancy! You look great!
Post a Comment